Let's Practice Sight Reading on the Piano TogetherMay 04, 2023
Sight reading is an incredibly important skill. How you read and process music has a big impact on how you sound, how you feel while you play, and so many other things.
Watch this video and follow along in this PDF so that we can practice this skill together. Then, on your own, keep these things in mind:
- always practice sight reading at a lower level than you regularly play
- always count out loud and go slower than you think you need to go
- use the metronome
- don't stop, don't go back
- try to play it as well as possible on the first try
You want to make sure to look at ALL of the following things before you dive into sight reading.
- Rhythm/counting - actually clap and count the whole example out loud
- Fingerings and hand position changes
- Key signature and time signature
- Any other symbols
- Surprises or deviations from patterns
- Aspects of Musicality (title, tempo marking, character markings, etc)
- Voicing (where is the melody)
- Application of music theory knowledge(chord names or patterns, etc)
- Unexpected things
- Potential mistake spots
For more tips on sight reading, check out this playlist of helpful videos, and here are some of my favorite sight reading tools!
Helen Marlais Sight Reading Books
Keith Snell Sight Reading Books
Become an even better piano player than you already are. As a member of The Casual to Confident Piano Player be prepared to be inspired, get a TON of encouragement from me, expert Pianist Ashlee Young, and the community, AND learn a lot about EVERY aspect of playing and practicing the piano.
After just a few classes, you will really start to see an improvement in your piano practice! As a Piano Masterclass Member, you get exclusive access to a private Facebook community for inspiration, feedback, and tips, weekly live sessions, personal feedback sessions once a month (via email), and live monthly sessions together.
Learn more and join the Casual to Confident Piano Player Membership here!
***Links are affiliate links, but I will only recommend items I LOVE and have recommended for years! The links have no extra cost to you, and it helps to support the channel! Thank you for your continued support!